Rosson House Museum at Heritage Square
The Rosson House Museum is a historic house museum located in the heart of Downtown Phoenix at 113 N 6th St, Phoenix, AZ 85004, corner of Monroe Street. It features an extensive history of the early history of the city. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is a popular destination for tourists.
The museum is open Wednesday through Sunday, 10am to 4pm. Tours are free and open to the public. Tours are offered every hour on the hour. Please note that the museum is closed on certain holidays: Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day. The museum supports local crafts and artists and offers tours of their home.
The museum features artifacts from the lives of both wealthy and not so wealthy families. The house had indoor plumbing, an upstairs bathroom, electric lights, and doorbells. It was also filled with refined decor. The Rosson House Museum is located in the Historic Heritage Square district. Tickets are available at the Emporium in Heritage Square.
The Rosson House Museum is an example of Victorian architecture, built in 1895 by Dr. John T. Dennis. It is an outstanding example of early craftsmanship. It features an octagonal tower and moon gate. The house is also furnished with period pieces, including antique furniture. The museum is closed on Mondays. Visitors are not allowed to take food or drinks inside.
After selling the Rosson House, Dr. Rosson died in Los Angeles in 1898. Before his death, he had taken out several life insurance policies. His wife, Flora, died in 1911. The house was eventually purchased by Aaron Goldberg, who co-owned a clothing store. Goldberg later wrote the bill naming Phoenix, Arizona the state capital. Another great place to visit in Gilbert.
Various paranormal investigations at the museum have revealed evidence of ghostly activity. The murdered caretaker is believed to haunt the building. He has been sighted by employees, guests, and visitors of the museum. Some even have the chance to experience shadowy figures, running up the stairs. A few employees and visitors have even reported seeing the ghost of the caretaker.
During the 1920s, William Gammel's wife, Frankie, started renting out rooms in the Rosson House. The Gammel family subsequently updated the house, subdividing it and adding multiple bathrooms. This home changed hands several times, and in the 1960s, it became a "flop house". However, it was purchased by the City of Phoenix in 1974. The restoration efforts were led by the local community. Next Article.